In the previous article we talked about the different effects of high-GI foods and low-GI foods on blood sugar, and the benefits of eating low-GI foods to alleviate blood sugar fluctuation.
In addition, low-GI foods are very prone to satiety and cause lower insulin levels. Insulin promotes the synthesis of glycogen, fat and protein, so eating low-GI foods can generally help the body burn fat and reduce fat. The high-GI foods are just the opposite.
So how do we tell the difference between high GI foods and low GI foods? Here are some ways:
1. Dietary fiber content. Foods with a high dietary fiber content can slow down the digestive absorption rate of glucose and thus reduce the GI value.
2. The physical state of the starch. The finer the grain size of the cereal grains, the higher the GI value.
3. The degree of gelatinization of starch. The higher the degree of gelatinization, the higher the GI value.
4. Fat and protein content. Increasing their content can reduce the gastric emptying rate and digestion and absorption of the small intestine, thereby reducing the GI value.
5. Carbohydrate type and structure. Monosaccharides have a higher GI than polysaccharides.
A glycemic index (GI) chart of some common foods can be found below.
Glycemic index (GI)
White wheat bread
75 ± 2
49 ± 2
73 ± 4
81 ± 6
57 ± 2
36 ± 2
76 ± 4
51 ± 3
28 ± 9
40 ± 3
61 ± 3
In the next article, we are going to know glycemic load (GL).
For any query or further information, welcome contact [email protected]. Unipharmpro would always provide you an all-in-one solution.
- Are Fruits Really Healthy？ - Ⅱ
- Are Fruits Really Healthy？ - Ⅰ
- Winter Weight Gain - Ⅳ
- Winter Weight Gain - Ⅲ
- Winter Weight Gain - Ⅱ
- Winter Weight Gain - Ⅰ
- Glycemic Index (GI) and Glycemic Load (GL) - Ⅴ
- Glycemic Index (GI) and Glycemic Load (GL) - Ⅳ
- Turmeric Face Mask-I
- Glycemic Index (GI) and Glycemic Load (GL) - Ⅲ
- Glycemic Index (GI) and Glycemic Load (GL) - Ⅰ
- Carbohydrate - Ⅲ
- Identification of Turmeric Root Extract
- Carbohydrate - Ⅱ
- Carbohydrate - Ⅰ
- Carbohydrates, Fat and Diabetes - Ⅱ
- Application of Turmeric Root Extract in Medicine
- Carbohydrates, Fat and Diabetes - Ⅰ
- The Ketogenic Diet Has a History of Tens of Tho...
- The Ways to Improve the Bioavailability of Turm...