A study in 2020 published in Cell Metabolism found that mice fed chow supplemented with calcium alpha-ketoglutarate (Ca-AKG) saw extended lifespans.
Ca-AKG is a key metabolite in the tricarboxylic acid cycle, which is a series of reactions vital for oxygen-dependent derivation, and as the alpha-keto acid of glutamate, Ca-AKG is also an important component of amino acid metabolism.
In the study, mice were initially fed regular mouse chow, but then at middle age (18 months), mice were fed that same chow with Ca-AKG. Researchers evaluated two cohorts of mice (182 total) to assess the reproducibility of the longevity effects. Results showed that supplementation with Ca-AKG significantly improved median lifespan and survival (age at 90th percentile mortality), but this effect was sexually dimorphic, favoring females. Specifically, in the first cohort of females, median lifespan and survival significantly increased by 16.6% and 19.7%, respectively. In the second cohort of females, median lifespan and survival were significantly increased by 10.5% and 8%, respectively. In males, median lifespan increased by 9.6% and 12.8% in each cohort. Survival increased in males, but it was not found to be statistically significant in either cohort.
The mice also saw significantly decreased proportion of life in which they were frail. Frailty scores were reduced by 46% for females and 41% for males. The severity of age-dependent phenotypes was also decreased. Females saw a significant decrease in fur color loss, piloerection, poor coat condition, dermatitis, gait disorder, and kyphosis. Males saw a decrease in severity of body condition, dermatitis, gait disorder, eye discharge, kyphosis, and tumors. Not all phenotypes improved. For example, treated mice did not perform better in treadmill exhaustion tests, and showed no improvements in cardiac function. However, no significant adverse changes were detected with Ca-AKG treatment.
While more research is necessary to draw any conclusions about the effects of Calcium Alpha Ketoglutarate Anti-Aging Powder in humans, this new study places a renewed emphasis on the role of metabolism in aging biology.
- What Is Tart Cherry Extract Good For?
- Side Effects Of Favipiravir
- Basic Introduction Of Favipiravir
- What Are The Benefits Of Using Beta-Hydroxybuty...
- What Is Beta-Hydroxybutyrate Magnesium?
- WHEN BHB IS NECESSARY
- BHB VS GLUCOSE AS FUEL
- HOW TO OPTIMIZE BHB LEVELS
- HOW TO CHOOSE THE BEST BHB SALTS
- 5 Benefits of Calcium Alpha-Ketoglutarate (Ca-AKG)
- Long-term Treatment With Ca-AKG Corrects Second...
- A Breif Introduction Of Calcium Alpha-Ketogluta...
- Dietotherapy Function Of Tart Cherry Extract
- HOW EXOGENOUS BHB SALTS ARE MADE
- Here’s All You Need To Know About Using BHB Salts
- ARE BHB SALTS SAFE?
- 10 REASONS BETA-HYDROXYBUTYRATE (BHB) IS A ROCK...
- The Basics of BHB Introduction
- 5 BENEFITS OF TAKING EXOGENOUS BHB SALTS
- HOW YOUR BODY MAKES AND USES BHB