Favipiravir (T-705) is a synthetic prodrug, first discovered while assessing the antiviral activity of chemical agents active against the influenza virus in the chemical library of Toyoma chemicals.
A lead compound, A/PR/8/34, later designated as T-1105, and its derivatives were found to have antiviral activities. Favipiravir is derived by chemical modification of the pyrazine moiety of T-1105.
Six months and more than 16 million confirmed cases later, the COVID-19 pandemic has become the worst public-health crisis in a century. Discovery of a new and specific antiviral agent against the SARS-CoV-2 would involve a long and arduous timeline. Hence, by default, repurposed drugs, already in use against other viral infections, have been pressed into quick service. One such drug is favipiravir, initially marketed as an antiinfluenza agent in Japan.
Within the tissue, the molecule undergoes phosphoribosylation to favipiravir-RTP, which is the active form of this drug. It exerts its antiviral effect through the following mechanisms:
1.This molecule acts as a substrate for the RNA-dependent RNA-polymerase (RdRp) enzyme, which is mistaken by the enzyme as a purine nucleotide,thus inhibiting its activity leading to termination of viral protein synthesis.
2.It gets incorporated in the viral RNA strand, preventing further extension.This mechanism of action, along with preservation of the catalytic domain of the RdRp enzyme across various RNA viruses, explains the broad spectrum of activity of this drug.
3.It has recently been shown that favipiravir induces lethal mutagenesis in vitro during influenza virus infection, making it a virucidal drug.Whether a similar activity is demonstrated against SARS-CoV-2 or not is uncertain.
For any query or further information, welcome contact email@example.com. Unipharmpro would always provide you an all-in-one solution.
- Is It Illegal To Take Melatonin?
- Is caffeine good for body?
- Is Caffeine Powder Safe?
- What Is Caffeine Powder Used For?
- Can Melatonin Be Bad For You?
- How Much Tart Cherry Should I Take?
- Is It Fine To Take Melatonin Every Night?
- Does Melatonin Come In Powder Form?
- What Is Tart Cherry Extract Good For?
- Side Effects Of Favipiravir
- What Are The Benefits Of Using Beta-Hydroxybuty...
- What Is Beta-Hydroxybutyrate Magnesium?
- WHEN BHB IS NECESSARY
- BHB VS GLUCOSE AS FUEL
- HOW TO OPTIMIZE BHB LEVELS
- HOW TO CHOOSE THE BEST BHB SALTS
- 5 Benefits of Calcium Alpha-Ketoglutarate (Ca-AKG)
- Calcium Alpha-ketoglutarate Extended Lifespan
- Long-term Treatment With Ca-AKG Corrects Second...
- A Breif Introduction Of Calcium Alpha-Ketogluta...