If you’re on the fence about taking BHB salts, here’s all they can do for you, in a nutshell:
1. PUTS YOU IN KETOSIS FAST
BHB salts boost your BHB levels to over 1 mmol/L in less than 2 hours.
This is at least 85% faster than the usual 12+ hours it takes your body to start raising ketone levels on its own.
In addition, the peak in BHB levels lasts almost 2 hours.
This accelerated ketone production saves you from the dreaded keto flu.
2. DECREASES “KETO FLU” SYMPTOMS
When people switch to a ketogenic diet for the first time, they may experience symptoms similar to the flu, including brain fog, irritability, nausea, cravings, stomach aches, and sore muscles.
This happens because your body has to adjust to burning fatty acids, and it takes time. The severity of the symptoms varies from person to person.
With BHB salts, you can skip the side effects of this adaptation because you enter ketosis almost immediately.
3. NORMALIZES BLOOD SUGAR LEVELS
BHB salts can lower blood sugar within the first 30 minutes of taking them and maintain that drop for hours.
One 4-week study found supplementing with BHB salts (of sodium and potassium) kept glucose low for 12 hours, in the range of 80-100 mg/dL.
For reference, healthy people have a blood sugar of 72-108 mg/dL when fasting.
People with a low blood sugar tend to be more insulin sensitive, which prevents insulin resistance and the metabolic diseases that stem from it (obesity, type I diabetes, metabolic syndrome).
4. INCREASES FAT BURNING
Taking BHB salts may decrease abdominal fat and accelerate the fat loss rate during workouts.
One study found that abdominal fat cells got 30% smaller after supplementation with BHB salts.
Another study done on healthy males who exercised at least 3 times per week, but weren’t athletes, discovered that supplementing with ketone salts before doing aerobic exercise increased fat burning by 23%.
This fat loss is no surprise considering endogenous BHB also pushes your body to burn more fat for fuel.
5. MAY HELP LOWER ANXIETY
New research finds that supplementing with ketone salts decreases anxiety-related behavior in rats.
BHB salts can also make the brain more resistant to stressors that worsen behavioral performance.
This effect fits with the anti-depressive and anti-anxiety effect of endogenous ketones, although more human trials are needed.
There’s no doubt exogenous BHB allows you to tweak your metabolism in a way you couldn’t do just a few years ago.
It basically lets you enter ketosis on command.
Still, there’s one more thing you can do to make BHB salts more effective: Add MCT oil.
Studies find that supplementing with a mix of BHB salts and MCTs skyrockets BHB production.
- 5 Benefits of Calcium Alpha-Ketoglutarate (Ca-AKG)
- Calcium Alpha-ketoglutarate Extended Lifespan
- Long-term Treatment With Ca-AKG Corrects Second...
- A Breif Introduction Of Calcium Alpha-Ketogluta...
- Dietotherapy Function Of Tart Cherry Extract
- HOW EXOGENOUS BHB SALTS ARE MADE
- Here’s All You Need To Know About Using BHB Salts
- ARE BHB SALTS SAFE?
- 10 REASONS BETA-HYDROXYBUTYRATE (BHB) IS A ROCK...
- The Basics of BHB Introduction
- HOW YOUR BODY MAKES AND USES BHB
- Brief Introduction Of BHB
- An Overview Of BHB
- WHAT IS BETA-HYDROXYBUTYRATE (BHB)?
- BHB Maybe Can Attenuates Salt-sensitive Hyperte...
- How Does Fisetin Work
- Side Effects You Should Know About Fisetin
- The Role Of Fisetin For Heart Health
- The Role Of Fisetin For Diabetes And Its Compli...
- The Role Of Fisetin For Anticancer Potential